Friday, January 4, 2013

For all those moms battling coughs, fevers and snot...

Came across this post from my old blog and thought it would be encouraging to share since so many families have been sick over the holidays, ours included.  I wrote this back in Feb. '09 when we were hit with a tidal wave of illness.  It's easy to laugh about now, but not so much back then!  


You Name It. That's what the past 2 weeks have brought us!
When I left for my grandfather's funeral, we were wrapping up 1 ear infection...no big deal. Since then, we've had 2 more infections, 2 bouts of pink eye, 1 case of pneumonia and a massive outbreak of hives (a reaction likely to the antibiotic prescribed for the ear infection.) And that's doesn't take into account Grandma's pneumonia and Mommy and Daddy's turn with the head/chest cold!

So how do we manage it? We laugh when possible (which usually puts us into a coughing fit), escape to the basement or garage and let the other parent deal with the chaos for awhile, ingest lots of tea and Airborne tablets and end the day with thanks and prayers. There are too many reasons to be joyful in the midst of these difficulties and remembering that keeps us sane.

Earaches at 2 AM? What a blessing to know I can get to the doctor first thing in the morning and have medicine at work by noon. Not possible for many other mothers around the world.

Goopy eyes that require stripping the linens daily? How thankful I am to have a washer and dryer right downstairs that I can run a hundred times this week, if needed.

Itchy skin and swollen joints? A few days of discomfort is manageable when I know my child isn't facing a lifetime of debilitating pain.

Lungs rattled with coughs and wheezes? I still recall the years when our house was empty of these noises and we were waiting and praying for the blessing of a child to care for.

If you try hard enough, you can find a way to turn any burden into a reason for thanksgiving.



Poor M....still managed a smile 
During one early morning visit to the kids' room for yet another dose of Tylenol, the 23rd Psalm ran through my head. "The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want." And for a moment, I thought, but I do want! I just want us to have a full night's sleep! The next morning, I tweeked the words a bit and came up with this...

1 The LORD is our family's Great Physician. I shall not need for anything that He can't provide.
2 He makes me lie down in pools of slobber next to my fevered child; he leads me to the sink for drinks of cool water 20 times a night.
3 He restores my foggy mind in the morning with strong coffee. He guides me along the path to the doctor's office and pharmacy for the children's sake.
4 Even though I tiptoe through a dark room to help blow a stuffy nose, I will fear no snot, for you Lord are with me; the humidifier and Vicks Vapo Rub, they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table of applesauce, ginger ale and half-eaten jelly sandwiches before me in the presence of my picky sicklings. You anoint my head with hot water, if I'm not too tired to stand, in a late-night shower; my cup of sleepy-time tea overflows onto my lap as I nod off.
6 Surely good health and abundant energy will soon follow me in the days of my life ahead, and I will eventually dwell in the house of the LORD (which is germ-free) forever.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment